Get on your bike for good!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Still winning

So last night I had dinner plans that threatened to infringe on my pilates plan. But my dinner date had to leave to teach by 5:20, so that didn't give me much of an excuse to skip the gym. I ate just enough to make my stomach stop rumbling and had about 40 minutes on the elliptical before class.

If there hadn't been soft slow quiet music on (actually, it was some French jazzy-type music) and a very sweet instructor who first explained the ways to modify the exercise before showing us the hard version, I would have busted out the 'YES DRILL SERGEANT!" It was hard, even though I was breathing 'in through my nose, out through my mouth' and keeping my 'bellybutton toward my spine' (huh?). But my abs were sore going into it, that we probably could have done a round-robin of belly laughs, and it would have hurt. Then we did squats. Then we did squats and leg lifts (exactly like the bootcamp class). And more plank pose. Ow. Even the so-called 'resting positions' hurt.
So if one could get into shape by working out everyday for one week, I'd be well on my way. Unfortunately, it's going to take some time to get some strength back after my workout strike of the last couple of months (maybe more). I look forward to a stronger, healthier back. Maybe some definition again. My cycling can only be improved for it.

Tonight -- I think I'm going to skip the "Funk Aerobics" class and go home, clean my kitchen (could be quite a workout) and set up my trainer.
My aunt left a box of VCR tapes (remember VCRs?) at my house -- all of the exercise variety. I think I've inherited every work-out phase of her life: from yoga to jazzercize. I'm going to dig through it tonight to see if there are any kick-boxing tapes that encourage one to yell "Ma'am yes ma'am." I'll need the practice for when I teach my spinning class to yell/obey.

I read another article that says holiday weight gain is averaged at 10-15lbs. I've got to stop reading.
What about you? Any plans to beat the holiday weight-er coaster? Get into shape before the days warm up? Put an end to the [informal, un-acknowledged] workout strike?

2 comments:

limes said...

Tango, of course! And the yoga/pilates exercises I do regularly. And continue to persist in trying to dance in my own house again. *sigh*

hmr said...

Your way sounds pretty fun. Including the persistence.
Maybe I'll try the zumba class after all and 'shake it' like I'm dancin'.