Get on your bike for good!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cross-training or crossed-wires?


Long story short: I'm training for a half-marathon. Running again. Crazy. Maybe.
Fall weather, motivation, training, distractions, discipline.
Different view, training with friends, slowed to the common denominator pace, built-in walking.
Once, as an adolescent, said, "I'm so bored, I don't even know what to do. I can barely move, but too restless to stay still."
When was that? Why was that? Do I train for things because of some discontentment or restlessness? Do I over-schedule my time to avoid that terrible boredom?

What did Ursula K. LeGuin say? "This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain." Or something like that.
Wondering. Wandering. Running. Biking.
Don't suppose I can erase the discontent by running for 13.1 miles. Nor can I flee from myself by pedaling harder.
But alas. I seem to continue to try. There's contentment in that.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Ursula forgot that the terrible boredom of pain brings about the not-so-boring endorphins of running. Congratulations & happy-as-possible training!