Mileage: 93.91
This morning started off one of the best year's of the Nor Cal AIDS Challenge yet. I've pasted some photos below, intending to capture bits of the day as well as try not to overload you with boring little snippets that were really only interesting 1) at the time and 2) after hours of riding.This year was particularly fun for me as I have started (continued?) collecting my friends around me for this Ride. It's been one of the most amazing experiences for me and I'm so glad that I've been able to share it with people I care about (and have the most fun with). This year, among several others who I won't list here, a couple of friends I've known since law school responded to my desperate plea that we needed more "crew." They both signed up, raised their money like champs, and got ready for an adventure.
KC brought her very fancy camera that creates camera-envy in us all and took hundreds and hundreds of photos. Some of which you'll see below. Most of the photos are mine, but it's pretty easy to tell which are not: her camera is better.
We all milled around at Folsom Lake getting ready to go -- the nerves were like those little bouncy balls you get out of a machine for a quarter. Almost half the riders this year were new to the ride. That's nearly 30 people who didn't really know what they were getting themselves into. The rest of us were just hoping it wouldn't be as hot and windy as last year.
A few photos before we headed out on the road.
Here's Ron, Me, and Jen -- a small percentage of the West Sac contingent. I was hoping that they would not be silently throwing daggers at me after it was all over, as I'd convinced both of them to sign up this year (their first).
Ron and his wife Christine, who lovingly got up to drive him to Folsom. Next year, Christine will be with us one way or the other.
KC, one of the aforementioned friends. I only post this photo because I missed the whole conversation that led up to KC doing whatever she is doing here. I'm hoping someone will finally explain. I think it has something to do with the first day being "Super hero" day for the crew. Maybe she's "BankRobber Man."
Team Heathers. We signed up as a Team for no reason other than joking around about our Team, and Bronwyn spending hours finding a photo for our Team site. From left to right, the Heathers (named after the movie of the same name) are: Bronwyn, Heather (the Mascot -- ha ha), KC, Emily, and Steve.
Nearly 60 riders ready to go. I think if you click on this photo, it's a better view.
Joaquin, Cyclist Conductor Extraordinaire.
Waiting to take off. Just after this, we looped around the Folsom Lake parking lot, and headed out for our first 90+ mile day. It was nice and cool in the morning (notice lots of us are wearing jackets, unlike last year).
The evening programs this year were a little different, and the first night set the tone for the rest of our four days together. We usually do a little talk, give out prizes (for ridiculous things that happened that day), discuss the follow day's highlights, and then call it a night. Short and sweet.This year, we had a couple of people speak who are recipients of the services our beneficiary agencies provide as well as a doctor whose practices consists largely of HIV+ and AIDS clients. Jonathon, below, spoke first. He talked about his diagnosis, his loss of community, the challenge of coping with the knowledge of HIV+ status and what CARES does for him. Part of what CARES focuses on is the source of the infection, in addition to treating the infection. So, for example, they have drug and alcohol treatment programs for their clients. Jon talked about how he has regained a sense of community, found a fabulous partner (fellow Rider, Travis), regained his health, and how he now tells his story through a variety of speaking engagements in order to educate people about AIDS with an eye toward prevention. Tears abounded.
Then Clyde got up. I don't even know how to explain Clyde's talk. I think someone was taking notes, though I don't know how because surely he couldn't see through all the tears.
Clyde was diagnosed about 8 years ago. He ended up with full-blown AIDS. Doctors told him they couldn't do anything and he began waiting around to die. He was homeless, alone, and dying. He found Breaking Barriers through their homeless-outreach program (or rather, they found him). BB brought him him, found him housing, got him hooked up with services, medical care, and support. Clyde let the rope BB offered slip through his fingers. He was back on the street, engaging in all the same activities that got him there in the first place. Again, BB pulled him back in, found him treatment and a community of support.He let go the rope.
Several months later, he walked back into BB and said, "I f-ed up again." They took him back. They found him treatment and community. He said that Craig, who is on our Board, Organizing Committee, and the Executive Director of Breaking Barriers, opened his doors and his arms to him every time Clyde came back with his tail between his legs.
This year, Clyde rode 330 miles (or close to it, anyway) with the NorCal AIDS Challenge. He raised over $1700. When he met his minimum, if checks came in, he requested they be applied to someone who was having trouble with the fund-raising part of the Challenge.
What struck me about Clyde's story, in addition to the story itself, is the unlimited compassion that Craig (and his staff) must have. To welcome these folks back time and time again as though it were the first time. To open their hearts each and every time, knowing that all the work they put into each person only goes as far as the recipient will take it. It's just astounding.
Night one: I won a prize! Here is not such a great photo, but a funny story. At each rest stop, we have to take off our gloves and wash our hands before we're allowed to have any food. Each rest stop, it's the same thing: park bike, gloves in back right pocket, wash hands, eat oranges. Same thing -- 4 rest stops per day. One rest stop on Day 1, I was doing my thing, getting ready to get back on the bike, and saw my gloves sitting on the table near the hand-washing. "Hm," I
thought. Picked up gloves, started walking toward my bike. Jana yells over, 'Hey Heather, have you seen my gloves?' "Nope!" I respond. And chat with Thug, then back to it. As I'm riding away, I feel a lump in my right pocket. Weird. I know exactly what's in each pocket -- why is there a lump.Gloves.
My gloves.
What's on my hands? My gloves. Or gloves that look EXACTLY like mine. I sort of remember commenting to Jana at some point that we have the same gloves. I turned around and headed back to the rest stop, back to where Jana was frantically looking for her gloves so she could get going. Aye.
Emily entertaining the troops before some shut-eye.
And then . . . a little sleep and up at 5 a.m. to do it again!

1 comment:
Great post, H - thanks so much for putting that together. What an awesome group of people!
Post a Comment